Summers have started here in India. Thus, you may plan for a weekend beach party soon or going for summer season shopping is a must.
Whatever you do, just do not forget to apply sunscreen on your face and body. It doesn’t matter whether the weather is hot or cold outside. What matters is to protect your body from the harmful UV rays. So here in this article we will help you find the best 10 sunscreens in India.
Using sunscreen has become one of the most essential parts of a skincare routine. You must take it with you wherever you go.
The damaging UV rays can cause you sun tanning, sun allergies as well as pimples. It can also lead to skin ageing and skin cancer. Thus, dermatologists often recommend using sunscreen to solve all these issues.
However, there are several brands that came up with their sunscreen with different texture and SPF content. It makes it difficult to choose the best sunscreen in India that suits your skin type.
I have made a list of top 10 best sunscreens in India to choose from. If you are still confused, then you can go through the buying guide of sunscreen. It will help you to choose according to your skin type and texture.
To view our detailed Buyers Guide to help you select from the Best 10 Sunscreens in India click on the link above.
Best 10 Sunscreens in India:
These are our Recommendations for the Best 10 sunscreens in India.
- The packaging comes in a tube form with a screw cap. It has a blue and white combination which gives it a nice look.
- It is milky white in colour and has a creamy consistency which is thick. This will not leave a white caste or chalkiness on your skin if blended properly.
- The Neutrogena sunscreen is suitable for all skin types. But recommend especially for dry, normal, and combination skin types.
- It is suitable for harsh summers in India as it has SPF of 50+. Thus, it prevents your skin from sunburn as well as a suntan.
- The sunscreen has a dry touch technology. It gives a non-shiny finish. It is also ultra light in weight. You will not feel tacky after applying.
- It has a fresh smell which is light and gentle enough for sensitive skin people as well. This is oil-free in nature and has no PABA.
- It is dermatologically tested and is non-comedogenic. Thus, it ensures no pore blocking.
- This sunscreen provides high balanced broad-spectrum protection against UVB as well as UVA rays.
- It doesn’t give a matte finish.
- It may leave a white cast if not blended properly.
- The packaging is sturdy and has an opaque orange plastic tube along with a flip top lid.
- The sunscreen is beige in colour having a pleasant fragrance. Due to the tinted feature, it gives a little coverage to your skin.
- It has mallow extract to soothe your skin. This acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. It is suitable for all skin types.
- It feels light on the skin after applying. The sunblock is not greasy at all. It has birch extract to reduce oiliness from the skin. This rejuvenates and refines the skin pores.
- The sunscreen is affordable and is travel-friendly as well. A little bit amount is sufficient enough to protect your skin from harmful rays.
- It has UVA as well as UVB protection to prevent your skin from tanning or burning.
- Reapplication may lead to tackiness.
- SPF50+ works great,just apply on ur face and forgot about uv rays.
- No oilyness on ur face.
- This lotus cream is far better then M-caffeine’s sunscreen (only in terms of oilyness on ur face), I have uploaded pic of both.
- This lotus product has Paraben in the form of methyl and alkyl paraben.
- Perfect for long wear
- Sweat proof formulation and stops the oil accumulation on the skin.
- Blocks 97% of UVB Rays and keeps the skin safe.
- Blends easily onto skin and has a very light weight formula.
- Prevents tanning due to sun
- Paraben Free so no chemical reactions on the skin.
- It has lemongrass as well as cucumber extracts to give a soothing feel to your skin. This makes it suitable skin types. However, it is suggested to do a patch test before using on sensitive skin.
- It leaves a whitish cast initially. However, it settles down after 5-10 minutes of application.
- Provides broad-spectrum sun protection in a water-resistant formula
- Lightweight formula which provides matte finis to the skin.
- Easy to apply
- Offers a high SPF of 50 and protects from harmful UV Rays.
- Takes a while to absorb.
- The price range is on the higher side.
- 100% Ayurvedic
- Paraben-free and cruelty-free
- Water-resistant (retains SPF even after 80 minutes in the water)
- Broad spectrum sun protection with a high SPF of 50.
- This nutrient-rich formula is packed with pure sandalwood, saffron, honey, wheat germ and the bark of the Arjun tree, to keep your skin soft, fresh, and moisturized.
- It has a rather strong fragrance
- Absorbs quickly
- Won’t leave you with a whitish cast
- Free of parabens, alcohol, and other harsh chemicals
- Also works well under makeup.
- Aloe vera is great for every skin type, and this sunscreen from Aroma Magic combines sun protection with the power of cucumber and aloe.
- It has a very synthetic smell
- The formulation dispels pollutants, even those as small as 2.5 micrometers
- Nongreasy and quick-absorbing formulation
- Powered by alteromonas ferment extract, liquorice extract and vitamin B3
- Nourishes skin and prevents darkening
- Strong physical UV ray blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide form a barrier
- Not very good for very oily skin.
- Comes with a pump which can sometimes not be functioning properly.
9. RE’ EQUIL Oxybenzone and Zero-Omc Sunscreen for Oily, Sensitive and Acne Prone Skin, SPF 50 PA+++ – 50 g
- The quality of the packaging is top notch. It comes in a white tube packaging.
- It is one of the best sunscreens for oily, sensitive, and acne prone skin types. This has a cream formula which feels light on the skin.
- The sunblock is non-greasy and has a matte effect on your skin. It works straight for 6 long hours providing a fresh look.
- It is free from Oxybenzone as well as OMC which makes it light on the skin. This is one of the best non-comedogenic sunscreen lotions.
- It is budget-friendly and has oil controlling formula.
- It leaves a white cast on your skin after application.
- Shields against UVA UVB rays.
- PA++++ shield and ultra boot star rating of 5 ensures highest protection.
- Removes tan and lightens skin.
- This PABA-free sunscreen is potent with broad spectrum sunscreen actives which protect the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Niacin amide, potent whitening active, removes tan and lightens skin.
- Has a strong fragrance
Best sunscreen Brands in India:
- Neutrogena– This brand is one of the luxury brands for skin care as the products are of a higher price range but the quality is also worth the price.
- Lotus – This is one of the very old brands in skincare and is known for its quality and affordable prices.
- Lakme – This brand is one of the very trusted brands for makeup and skincare. The products of this brand are of both variety very pricey as well as affordable.
- Biotique – This is one of the brands which is gaining a lot popularity recently for its Ayurvedic formulas and affordable pricing.
- Aroma Magic – This is another brand which uses only natural products for their skin care. The price range is medium to high.
- Aveeno – This is one the medicated brands for skin care products. Amazing results but a little heavy on the pocket.
- Kaya – This Brand is also very well known for its quality and have amazing products but again this is one the expensive side.
- Wow – This brand is gaining a lot popularity recently for its skincare formula and very affordable price range.
- Re’equil – This brand is also doing some amazing skincare and the price range is also medium.
Our recommendations of the Best 10 sunscreens in India are from the list of the brands only and we have made a perfect balance of Ayurvedic formulas and medicated formulas. So hope you find the right one for yourself. Happy Shopping!
These are a few points we have kept in mind in selecting the Best 10 Sunscreens in India.
1. Consider Your Skin Type
It is very much important to consider the skin type before purchasing a sunscreen lotion. I mean you must check out whether your skin type is oily, dry, normal, or sensitive.
a) If you have dry skin, you must find out sunscreen that is cream based. Sunscreens enriched with oil will provide moisture to your skin.
b) In case, you have oily skin, it is must for you to use a gel based or water based sunscreen lotion.
c) For people having sensitive skin, you must choose a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Sunscreens with PABA or Para-Aminobenzoic Acid are not good for sensitive skin.
2. SPF or Sun Protection Factor
Another essential factor to keep in mind before choosing a sunscreen with broad spectrum. A sunscreen must protect your skin from harmful UVA as well as UVB.
UVA can cause you skin ageing whereas UVB leads to sunburn as well as tanning. To protect your skin, dermatologists suggest using a sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15 to SPF 30.
You must apply a proper quantity of sunscreen and then reapply it after every two hours.
a) SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays
b) SPF 30 blocks around 97% UVB rays
c) SPF 50 blocks 98% UVB rays
Just like skin, lips need extra care and protection. Moreover, lips are much more sensitive than your skin. You must buy an SPF infused lip balm for extra lip protection.
3. Sweat and Water Resistance
If you are looking for a sunscreen to use while swimming, then you must buy a sunscreen that is water resistant. In fact, your chosen sunscreen must be sweatproof as well.
These types of sunscreen will provide you with better protection while in water or sweating than the ordinary ones.
a) Water resistant sunscreen will provide you 40 to 50 minutes of protection.
b) Sweatproof sunscreen protects your skin in water for about 80 minutes. However, nothing is 100% waterproof.
4. Ingredients List
While I am talking about UVA protection, you must consider choosing a sunscreen with these following ingredients such as oxybenzone, zinc oxide, ecamsule, avobenzone, titanium dioxide, or sulisobenzone.
There are some ingredients present in sunscreen can be harmful to your skin. Zinc oxide can make you look pale.
One of the key factor to consider while choosing a sunscreen is to look for a good brand. It is always important to buy skin care products from good brands.
A high-quality product is always better than any cheap product without a doubt. But, it doesn’t mean your sunscreen needs to be pricey. You can opt for a budget-friendly sunscreen from a reputed brand as well.
6. Expiration Dates
Remember to check the expiry date of any skincare product. Usually, a sunscreen lasts for three years. You can find the expiration date in the packaging itself.
Using an expired sunscreen can lead to severe harm. The ingredients present in it degrades with time. Thus, it is very much crucial to check the product expiry date.
7. Kid-Friendly Sunscreen
Sunscreen is equally important for kids just like adults. However, you need to be very much careful while choosing a sunscreen lotion for your kid.
Children tend to have sensitive skin and ingredients present in sunscreen can cause severe damage to your kid’s skin. Your kid may be allergic to any of the components present.
You need to do a little bit of research for buying a sunscreen manufactured especially for kids. Sunscreens having PABA and benzophenones are harmful to your kids. You can even find SPF clothes for your little ones.
8. Additional Tips
To get the best result using the best sunscreen in India, you need to follow these important tips.
a) Always apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out.
b) Use a good amount of sunscreen than you think you should.
c) You must wear sunglasses and a cap. If possible you should wear a scarf or a stole. It will protect your skin from the UV rays.
d) You should reapply the sunscreen every two hours.
e) Cotton fabrics are a must during summers while you are out.